Englewood, Florida's history dates back to the Calusa Indians, with the first European contact in the 16th century. The town was officially platted in 1896 by the Nicholls brothers, who named it after their Illinois hometown and initially hoped to establish a lemon grove, a plan that was thwarted by the "Great Freezes" of 1894-1895. The area developed as an agricultural community until the 1940s, and later saw growth through tourism and development, with landmarks like the historic Englewood Inn and the first bridge built in the late 1890s and 1920s, respectively.
Early history and settlement Indigenous people: The area was inhabited by the Calusa Indians from approximately 1000 B.C. to 1350 A.D. Spanish exploration: Spanish explorers arrived in the nearby Charlotte Harbor area in the 16th century, with Menéndez de Avilés present in 1566.
First white settler: The first known white settler was William Goffe, who arrived in 1878. Pioneer families: The Anderson, Chadwick, and Godfrey families were among the early pioneers, with their names associated with landmarks like Godfrey Creek. Founding and development Platted town: In 1896, the Nicholls brothers platted the town of Englewood, inspired by their hometown in Illinois.
Citrus dreams: Their initial plan was to establish a lemon grove, with each lot sold including a 10-acre grove. However, the "Great Freezes" of 1894 and 1895 destroyed the citrus crops, forcing them to shift their focus.
Agricultural community: The town remained largely agricultural until the 1940s, as the Tamiami Trail passed to the east, bypassing the community.
Early amenities: By the early 1900s, Englewood had a post office, school, and churches. A single grocery store served the isolated community due to the lack of transportation. 20th-century growth and change
Hollywood connections: In 1926, Hollywood stars Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks planned a home in the area, and a Tarzan movie starring Johnny Weissmuller was filmed nearby, with some monkeys from the production reportedly released into the wild.
Transportation: The first bridge, built by the Chadwick brothers in 1927, cost 50 cents to cross. The wooden bridge was replaced by a modern one in 1964, with the old bridge converted into a fishing pier.
Community life: Early community life revolved around activities like fishing, "Pioneer days," and boat parades. A community center was built in 1931 and destroyed in 2009.
Hurricanes: The 1936 hurricane impacted the local fishery, and a fire in 1949 destroyed some family buildings, but the store was rebuilt. Most recently, Hurricane Milton caused significant damage in August 2025.